Peppermint is basically a herb with a cool and refreshing aroma. Peppermint oil is derived from the steam distillation process of Mentha piperita plant. It is also called balm mint. It has a very refreshing and strong fragrance of menthol. Peppermint oil is very special oil because it contains iron, magnesium, omega-3 fatty acids, minerals, vitamins A & C. It has antibacterial, antifungal, antispasmodic, anti-inflammatory, antiviral, and carminative properties. It also has anesthetic properties which are very helpful in reducing discomfort. Here we are listing down the peppermint essential oil benefits, for a more natural way of healing and well being.
General Uses Of Peppermint Oil:
Let us take a look at some general peppermint essential oil benefits.
1. Antiviral Property
Peppermint oil has an antiviral property so it is very effective in treating cancer and tuberculosis. Regular use of this oil reduces the chances of increase in infections and also the outbreaks.
2. Reduces Stress and Pain
Peppermint oil is very effective in reducing body aches,muscular and joint pains. It is also very effective in making you feel relaxed and stress-free.
How to use:
Apply few drops of Peppermint oil to your whole body and take bath. It will give you a refreshing feeling and give a pain-free body because of its cooling property. It will give you an energetic feeling.
3. Helps To Improve Blood Circulation
Peppermint oil also helps in improving blood circulation in the whole body. Proper circulation of blood also reduces various problems like respiratory tract disorders, digestive system disorders, muscular pains, skin disorders, and hair falls.
4. Treats Urinary Tract Infection
As it has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties it is very effective in treating urinary tract infections caused due to fungal infections or bacterial infections. It immediately stops the growth of bacteria in affected areas and also helps in healing the infection rapidly.
5. Dental and Oral Care
Peppermint oil is very commonly used in many kinds of toothpaste and mouthwashes. It helps to clean the tooth, reduces a toothache and also remove the foul smell.
6. A good Insecticide
Peppermint oil with combinations of some other oil acts as a good insecticide. It acts like a repellent for mosquitoes and other insects.
How to Use:
- Take 10 drops of Peppermint essential oil, 10 drops of tea tree essential oil, 15 drops of lemongrass essential oil, 12 oz of witch hazel and 15 drops of citronella essential oil
- Mix all the oils with witch hazel and keep it in a spray bottle
- Spray anywhere when required
- Shake well before every use
- You can also apply a drop of peppermint essential oil on your cloth or on your skin for this.
7. Emotional support
Peppermint oil is also very effective in emotional or psychological treatment. Its cool aroma uplift or rejuvenates the mind as well as the heart. It reduces the mental stress, depression, tensions, fear and makes the life with full of joy and energy.
Some of the regular uses of Peppermint essential oils are:
- Add one drop of peppermint essential oil with lemon in a glass of water provides you a healthy mouthwash
- Add a drop of peppermint essential oil in a chocolate shake for a twist in flavor
- Take 1-2 drops of peppermint oil with carrier oil and rub it on stomach it will give you a comfortable digestive system
- Apply peppermint oil on your palm and inhale it deeply, it will help you to avoid acidity after taking junk food in mid-afternoon
- Take 1-2 drops of this oil and apply it on temples it will help you to relax immediately
Peppermint Essential Oil Benefits For Skin:
Let us take a look at some peppermint essential oil benefits for skin and how it can be utilized properly.
- Add some drops of Peppermint oil in beauty treatment, results in a healthy and radiant skin.
- It also contains menthol which is known for its cooling effects. It gives skin a refreshing look and removes dullness of the skin.
- Mixing Peppermint oil with some powerful ingredients used as a facial scrub. It gives a clean and clear skin with no scars.
- Take 3 teaspoons table salt, 4 drops peppermint oil and 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Take a bowl and mix these ingredients very well.
- Wash your face and then just apply this prepared scrub in gentle motion
- Repeat this method every alternate day to get a shiny, healthy and clear skin.
Peppermint oil is also a good skin toner.
- Take 30 drops of Peppermint oil, ¾ bottle (115ml) filtered water and ¼ bottle (40ml) Apple Cider Vinegar
- Mix it and keep it in a spray bottle
- Use it on your face as a mist
- Keep this bottle in a refrigerator
Peppermint also used in face mask to get clear, shiny and blemish free skin
- 5 ml Peppermint oil(Diluted), 2 tbsp green clay, 2 tbsp grated cucumber
- Whisk cucumber and oil in a plastic bowl and add green clay to this mixture
- Use this mixture as a face mask. Wait till it gets dry then wash it with a warm water
- You can repeat it once or twice a week. This mask is best suited for oily skin
Peppermint Essential Oil Benefits For Acne:
- It is very irritating to see a pimple on the face. Acne is one of the biggest forms of that problem.
- These are the pus-filled pimples which are very difficult to remove and leaves a scar after removal.
- Any costly beauty products or concealer are unable to hide them.
- Peppermint oil is very useful in reducing this problem. Although it is a slow process the results are definitely positive.
- It is a very safe method and very popular to eliminate the root cause of acne.
- Peppermint oil basically controls the excess of oil secretion from the skin
- It also prevents blockage of pores and also an outbreak of acne.
- It has antibacterial and antifungal properties so it also terminates the infection of the acne or pus to other areas of the face.
- Slowly but gradually skin becomes clear and scar-free with a shine on the face.
Peppermint Essential Oil Benefits For Hair:
- Peppermint oil is very good for hair and scalp health.
- Peppermint oil suits on every scalp whether it is a dry, oily or normal scalp. It has an astringent property. This oil normalizes the secretion of sebum and makes the scalp feel cool. Peppermint oil absorbed so quickly that you won’t feel greasy even when used regularly.
- On the other side if your scalp is dry then it moisturizes the scalp and maintains pH level balanced. It also prevents the itchiness due to dryness in the scalp.
- Mix Peppermint oil with carrier oil like olive oil or almond oil
- Apply this mixture to scalp and hair
- Cover it with a shower cap and leave it for ½ an hour.
- You can also mix peppermint oil with other essential oil like Lavender and Jasmine.
- It moisturizes your hair and makes your hair healthy.
- Peppermint oil is also very helpful for hair growth. It improves the blood circulation in the scalp which stimulates the follicles and boosts up the hair growth and makes the hair healthy. This oil helps to give proper nourishment to the scalp which is very important for healthy hair.
Peppermint Essential Oil Benefits For Cold:
- Peppermint essential oil very effectively treats respiratory tract infections like bronchitis, asthma, sinusitis, and a common cold.
- It is also very useful in curing headache and migraine due to sinusitis.
- Peppermint oil is used to get rid of nasal congestion problems due to a severe cold condition.
- Because it has an antiviral property it also reduces the cold and flu infections.
- Take 1-2 drops of Peppermint oil in a bowl of warm water and use it as inhalation.
- It will provide a deep relaxation from nasal congestion
- At the time of steam inhalation, we must ensure the head and forehead is completely covered to avoid further congestion
- You can also rub peppermint oil on your back, chest and temple areas to remove chest congestion as well as a headache due to sinusitis.
Peppermint oil is also very effective in reducing bedtime congestion. It removes your nasal congestion and makes you comfortable during sleep.
- Pour 2-3 drops of this oil on a cloth or handkerchief and keep this cloth or handkerchief in the pillow cover or near the pillow. Gradually the smell of oil will help you to release congestion and make you feel comfortable at night
You can also use peppermint oil from getting relief throughout the day even when you are out of work
- Pour few drops of peppermint oil in a cloth and inhale it whenever you feel congestion in the nose. Keep this cloth in some zipped bag to protect the aroma flow away. You can use this cloth for a whole day to get relief from congestion.
Peppermint Essential Oil Benefits For Cough:
- As we all know that Peppermint contains menthol which is very effective in removing chest congestion and respiratory tract infections like bronchitis, asthma, cough, and catarrh.Peppermint oil is used as vapor rub to help in reducing chest congestion or a cough.
- It is also very effective in continuous coughing or feeling stuffed
- Take 2-3 drops of peppermint essential oil, mix it with a carrier oil and then massage it on chest or back or you can pour a drop in a humidifier to clear the nasal and chest congestion.
- Take few drops of peppermint oil and add it to a glass of warm water and take steam. It will help you in reducing the feeling of suffocation and make you feel comfortable.
- You can also use a combination of rosemary essential oil and eucalyptus oil with peppermint oil for inhalation.
Handle With Care
- A small amount of peppermint oil is safe to use but in some people it causes allergies. The allergies on the skin like skin irritation, rashes, itching on the skin. So it is better to take a patch test before using it, not only peppermint o , but also all the essential oils. Because these oils are very strong and very powerful in reactions as they are the direct extract of the plants part.
- Peppermint oil contains menthol so the only small amount is permissible otherwise it can cause severe skin damages.
- Peppermint Essential oil is very pure and it is very concentrated. So always use peppermint oil with a carrier oil before any application on the skin.
Signs and Symptoms of Poisoning or Overdose of Peppermint:
1. Changes in Breathing
One of the symptoms of an overdose of the Peppermint oil is witnessed as changes in breathing. It can be very rapid, shallow or even very slow. The breathing is totally depending upon the amount of oil is taken.
2. Skin Flushing
An overdose of peppermint oil can serious effects on the skin. It can cause a sudden and rapid redness on neck, chest or face. It is called skin flushing. The person feels warmth in these areas and it causes irritation.
3. Digestive System Disorders
Poisoning of peppermint oil also reflects on digestive systems also. It creates digestive system disorders like nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain. Continuous vomiting and diarrhea can cause dehydration and if not treated it can be very harmful.
4. Slow Heartbeat
An overdose of Peppermint oil can also affect heartbeats also. It slow downs the heartbeat. It is a critical situation for the heart. Because the heart has to do extra effort to pump the blood to other organs. This can also cause cardiac problems. Immediate medical intervention is required in this case.
5. Urinary Tract Problems
If Peppermint oil is taken in large amount it can cause adverse effects on kidney and urinary bladder. The overdose of this oil can also cause kidney failures. Sometimes the results are very serious even blood may also appear in the urine. Severe Urinary Tract Infection can also occur. In this case, urination decreases or stops completely. It is very painful condition. If these types of problem occur immediately go to the nearby medical clinic and take proper medical treatment.
6. Adverse Effects on Nervous System
An overdose of Peppermint oil can also cause nervous system disorders like dizziness, convulsions, depression, lack of synchronization even unconsciousness. It is a very serious side effect of an overdose of peppermint oil.
Finally, Peppermint oil is very useful essential oil. As it contains menthol it is very effectively used for medicinal purpose. It is very useful in treating respiratory tract infections. It effectively cures cold and cough and also removes chest congestion. Peppermint oil is useful in skin nourishment and also very good for hair growth.
Peppermint oil should be taken with great care and it should always be kept away from children and pregnant ladies.It should be used under the proper guidance of aroma therapist by everyone especially lactating mothers.
LIST OF ESSENTIAL OILS AND THEIR BENEFITS: ALL OF THEM IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER
TOP 10 MOST POPULAR ESSENTIAL OILS AND THEIR USES
EUCALYPTUS ESSENTIAL OIL BENEFITS FOR SKIN, HAIR AND HEALTH