One of the most popular fragrances in aromatherapy has to be Lavender. Lavender essential oil is obtained through steam distillation of flowers of the lavender plant. This is also called English Lavender. It has a very fresh and healing aroma. Lavender essential oil has antidepressant and antioxidant properties. It also has sedative and antibacterial properties. Through aromatherapy, its main aim is to treat various mental disorders like stress, anxiety, depression, mood swings and anger. Because of its aroma, it is also used in perfumes, shampoos, and deodorants. Read ahead to know more about Lavender essential oil benefits.
General Uses Of Lavender Essential Oil:
1. Good Repellent:
Lavender oil works as a good insecticide. It is very effective in many types of bugs like mosquitoes, bees and flees. It also treats the insect bites and stings.
How to Use:
Apply some lavender oil in the exposed area to prevent the irritating bug bites and bugs.
2. Eliminates Sleeping Disorders:
It is a very good medicine for insomnia because it induces sleep. The sleeping disorder can be treated by placing some lavender oil on the pillow. It gives relaxation to the mind and helps the person get a sound sleep.
3. Reduce Anxiety & Stress:
Because of its mesmerizing aroma, it gives very soothing and relaxing atmosphere all around. It is a great medicine for anxiety and stress. It is very effective in treating headache, migraine, and depression.
4. Relieves Pains:
Lavender oil has anti-inflammatory property so it is very useful for muscular and joint pains like rheumatism, arthritis, and gout. It is also very effective in sprains and lumbago.
How to Use:
Take few drops of lavender oil with a carrier oil and massage regularly on joints. It gives relief from joint pain.
5. Improves Blood Circulation
Lavender oil improves the blood circulation in the whole body. Which helps in reducing blood pressure and also treat hypertension. It increases the oxygen level in the body which strengthen the muscle and health of a person. It also boosts up the brain activity and also lowers the risk of heart attacks.
6. Regulates Digestive System
Lavender essential oil is very effective in treating the digestive system disorders like nausea, gastroenteritis, diarrhea, and vomiting. It helps to increase the mobility of food within the intestine and also stimulates the production of gastric juices and biles. It also treats indigestion, abdominal pains, vomiting, and flatulence.
7. Boost Immunity
Lavender oil has antibacterial and antifungal properties. Regular use of this oil makes the body stronger, healthier and fight against various diseases by boosting up the immunity system.
Lavender Essential Oil for Skin:
Lavender oil is very beneficial for skin treatments. Some of the key benefits of lavender oils are
1. Skin Lightening
Lavender oil has anti-inflammatory property so it is also very useful in reducing redness and dullness of skin. It lightens the skin and removes dark spots or anti-aging signs thereby making the skin light, bright and shiny.
2. Protection from Wrinkles
As Lavender oil has an antioxidant property it protects the skin from aging and other damages by reducing fine lines and wrinkles.
- Mix few drops of Lavender oil with coconut oil and use it every morning and evening as a moisturizer.
3. Treats Eczema & Psoriasis
Because of its healing property Lavender oil is very useful in treating eczema.
- Take 10-12 drops of lavender essential oil and mix it in a cup of water
- Keep this mixture in a spray bottle
- Spray on affected areas
- Shake well before every use
You can also prepare Lavender oil lotion
- Take an aroma free lotion containing shea butter or Vitamin E
- Add 12-15 drops of Lavender essential oil and mix it well
- Apply this lotion gently on affected areas regularly
It treats Psoriasis effectively. It can be done through warm bath by adding lavender oil
- Take 1 or 2 cups of Epsom salt or Dead sea salt
- 2 to 3 tsp baking soda
- You can add 5-10 drops of Neem oil that has antimicrobial property and ½ tsp ginger that helps to detox
- Finally, add 5-10 drop of lavender essential oil just use it before taking bath.
- Soak for ½ hour and rinse it.
- Dry the skin and immediately apply a moisturizing lotion.
4. Prevent Sunburns
Because it has an antimicrobial property it helps in treating sunburn scar and also reduces the redness of the skin due to sunburn.
- Combine Lavender oil and Peppermint essential oil with Coconut oil and aloe vera juice
- Apply it to the affected area
- It will heal the sunburn
5. Cures Fungal infections on Skin
Lavender oil has antifungal and antibacterial properties. It can treat skin-pathogenic strains like dermophytes as well as many types of Candida. These types of infections are mainly responsible for skin disorders as well as nail infections.
Lavender Essential Oil for Acne:
Lavender oil is the most beneficial oil for the treatment of Acne. Acne is mainly due to bacterial infection near sebum gland. It can be recognized by red sores on a face or anywhere on the body. It occurs due to improper secretion of sebum from sebum gland, especially in puberty, it stimulates extra sebum and bacterial infection can cause irritation on skin, infection, sores can be visible, that finally converts to scars.
Lavender oil helps to treat this infection in the primary phase, it also stimulates the extra sebum by managing hormones and also very effective in reducing the scar of healed sores.
- Add few drops of Lavender oil with any skin cream and apply it on the affected areas regularly
- Add 3 to 4 drops of lavender oil in 1 tbsp of almond oil or olive oil and apply it on the sores.
- Mix 1 part of the lavender oil with 4 parts of tea tree oil is a very effective treatment of pus-filled sores. Further, dilute with warm water for sensitive skin or younger children.
- You can directly apply diluted lavender oil to a pimple.
- Add few drops of lavender oil in your bathtub, soak it for 15-20 minutes and then take a bath. It will directly treat your whole body and give a soothing feeling
Lavender Essential Oil for Hair:
Hair loss is a common problem caused due to an autoimmune disease called Alopecia and also because of sleeping disorders, anxiety, stress, depressions. In Alopecia body automatically rejects hair follicles as foreign body parts. Lavender oil naturally treats this disease. The lavender essential oil also helps in hair growth as well as reducing sleeping disorders. It regenerates the hair and maintains the scalp and hair health.
Following are some benefits of Lavender oil
1. Controls Hair Loss
It very effectively treats hair loss due to insomnia, depression, anxiety, and stress. These are very common reasons for hair loss
- Take few drops of Lavender essential oil mix it with regular hair oil
- Massage gently on your scalp and leave it for ½ an hour.
- Rinse it with a good quality shampoo
2. Hair fall due to Alopecia Areata
Alopecia areata is a condition in which hair falls in patches. In this disease, the body rejects hair follicles. Lavender oil is very helpful in treating this disease.
- Add 3 drops of Lavender oil, 2 drops of cedarwood oil, 2 drops of thyme oil, 3 drops of rosemary oil, ½ tsp jojoba oil and 4 tsp of grapeseed oil. Mix it well
- Massage gently with this oil mixture every night for 5-10 minutes
- Follow this routine for at least 6-7 months for best results
3. Dandruff in Hair
Dandruff in hair is a very irritating condition. Lavender oil helps in treating itchy scalp and dandruff.
- Add 15 drops of Lavender essential oil with 2 tbsp of olive or almond oil
- Mix it well
- Heat the mixture for 8-10 second
- Massage gently with this warm oil and leave it for an hour
- Rinse the hair with mild shampoo
You can also use one another method to treat dandruff
- Add 5 drops of rosemary oil, 5 drops of lavender oil and 3 tbsp of regular unscented hair oil
- Massage it on scalp and leave it for 15 minutes
- Rinse hair with shampoo
4. Treats Head Lice
Lavender oil is a very effective oil to get rid of the head lice, lice eggs, and nits. Regular massage of this oil can effectively clean your head.
- Massage diluted lavender essential oil on your scalp and leave it for 20 minutes
- Rinse it with a regular shampoo
5. It acts a Good Conditioner
Lavender oil also acts as a good conditioner.
- Take ¼ cup of dried lavender, 2 cup of water, few drops of lavender oil.
- Add dried lavender in boiling water and add lavender oil
- Rinse hair and leave it for 15-20 minutes
Take a patch test of every mixture on your scalp to see any reaction on the skin.
Handle with care:
Although lavender oil is very beneficial it also has some drawbacks, when it is used in wrong ways. So precautionary measures should always be kept in mind when using this oil. All the essential oils including lavender oil are very strong and concentrated in nature, so it should always be used in the diluted form and it is recommended to use it under proper guidance.
Signs and Symptoms of Poisoning or Overdose of Lavender Essential Oil:
Some of the major symptoms of overdose or poisoning of Lavender oil are:
- Blurred vision
- Breathing difficulty
- Severe burning pain in throat
- Burning of eyes.
- Low responsiveness
- Severe stomach ache.
We can avoid these symptoms by taking some basic precautions while using Lavender oil. Do not ever ingest lavender oil because it has a very toxic reaction in your body. Do not inhale directly especially it should always keep away from children. Avoid using near sensitive areas like eyes, nostrils, and lips. Always perform a patch test before going to use it for longer and wider area. It can cause severe skin allergies like redness, skin itching, and irritation. If anyhow came in contact with the eyes, wash your eyes thoroughly within 10-20 sec intervals.
Lavender oil is very useful and effective oil. It is one of the favorite oil used in aromatherapy. Some of the most common uses of lavender oil are:
- Pour few drops of lavender oil on a pillow or pillow covers or you can use at bottom of your feet. It will help you to give an overnight peaceful sound sleep.
- It is very effective in occasional minor skin reactions or irritations
- You can use it with water in a spray bottle to freshen the surroundings
- Add few drops of lavender oil in bath water it will give a relaxed feeling.
- As it has a soft citrus flavor it can also be used to give flavors in baking products, marinades and desserts also.
- Lavender oil is very useful in mental concentration, it acts a stress buster. It creates a soothing environment when used in aromatherapy.
- It also very effectively manages mood swing. You can diffuse lavender essential oil in the air and inhale directly.The fragrance is very mesmerizing and gives you a calm and soothing feeling.
Last but not the least Lavender oil can be called a multipurpose product. Always keep a small bottle of lavender essential oil with you. It can give a great relief from irritation of skin and calm mind. It is basically a spiritual oil, the aroma of this oil is very soothing that helps to low down the stress, anxiety, depression, and even anger. It helps in treating various skin problems, hair problems, and mental disorders. It very effectively treats the acne problem.
But it should always be remembered that the use of Lavender essential oil should be in right amount and also under proper supervision.