Eucalyptus oil, as the name suggests is obtained from the Eucalyptus tree. The leaves of this tree have medicinal properties. This oil is derived from the distillation of crushed and dried leaves. Aroma of this oil is very strong. We are here with a brief introduction on this oil and state eucalyptus essential oil benefits.
General Uses Of Eucalyptus Oil:
1. Medicinal Use
Eucalyptus essential oil benefits are many, this oil has various medicinal uses.
- It is widely used for treating respiratory tract infections like congestion in the chest, common cold, and cough, breathing troubles, bronchitis, asthma.
- This oil is also available in medicines, inhalers, soaps, spray for sore throats, mouthwashes, anti-rash creams and in many more cosmetic and medicinal products. It has great healing properties.
2. Reducing Congestion
Eucalyptus oil is also used in aromatherapy to reduce inflammation in mucous membrane, congestion in chest, nasal block or remedy for excessive mucus. It has an anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic, analgesic and antiseptic properties.
- It provides a great relief in sneezing and nasal block and also helpful in treating hay fever.
- This can also be used as a nebulizer when added to water and used in steam therapy.
- If this oil is used in bath water it acts as a pain reliever.
How To Use:
Add 1 or 2 drops of Eucalyptus oil in a cotton ball and inhale.
3. Antiseptic Properties
Because it has antiseptic and antifungal properties it immediately stops any fungal infection in open wounds and cuts.
- It quickly heals the wounds and also helps in diminishing the scar.
- Eucalyptus oil with wax is a great combination to provide great relief in the burnt skin and also helpful in removing the scar.
4. Reducing Muscular Pains
Eucalyptus oil has anti-inflammatory properties so it very useful for rheumatism, arthritis, gout and joint pains.
How To Use:
Add some drop of Eucalyptus oil in massage oil and massage with it. It acts as a painkiller.
5. Remedy For Bad Odour and Bacteria
This oil is very effective in removing the bad odor of germs from the bathroom, kitchen or any other areas by simply spraying oil mix with water, regularly.
6. Used as a Food Flavor
It is also added to baking products, meat, and beverages for flavor.
Eucalyptus Essential Oil Benefits for Skin:
- Eucalyptus oil is a very good skin toner. It makes the skin soft and shiny.
- Because of its antiseptic and antifungal properties, it heals very fast and immediately terminates the fungal growth in any cuts and wounds.
- It is a very effective cure for minor cuts, wounds, burn, bruises, and blisters.
- Also very helpful in treating allergic reactions on the skin or any other skin disorders like eczema, skin irritations, insect bites and stings.
- It helps to make the skin moisturized so it is very useful in case of acne, herpes, chicken pox where skin needs proper oil and nourishment.
- Eucalyptus oil very effectively cleans the body and it also helps in getting rid of bacterial infections and germs from the body.
- Taking bath with mixing eucalyptus oil in lukewarm water, not only provides a good aroma, but it is also helpful in reducing joint and muscular pains.
- It also works on skin rashes and itching in a very effective way.
- Mix Eucalyptus oil with apple cider vinegar in an equal amount and apply it on affected areas. It is a great home remedy for skin problems.
- Take few drops of eucalyptus oil with a carrier oil and apply it on the affected part of the body provide a great relief from any type of fungal infections.
Eucalyptus essential oil benefits For Acne:
As Eucalyptus oil is a skin toner. It is very helpful in treating many skin disorders. One of them is acne.
- Because it has an antiseptic property, it quickly heals the pus formation in pimples and also reduces the scars.
- It also helps to dry the pimples and cure the infection and its regrowth.
- Eucalyptus oil also reduces the pain in this acne boil because of its anti-inflammatory property.
- This oil also has antibacterial properties so it helps to stop the infection in pimple outbreaks.
Eucalyptus oil is also very effective for oily skin. Use of eucalyptus oil on the skin dries extra oil from the skin and maintains the moisture of the skin. While using eucalyptus oil avoid direct contact with eyes, mouth, nose, and cut skin areas.
Prepare a mixture of one drop of eucalyptus oil with 3 drops of water and apply it to affected areas with a cotton swab to cure scars of pimples.
Eucalyptus essential oil benefits For Hair:
Eucalyptus oil is a nourishment for scalp and hair health. It has an antifungal property so it stops spreading any infection in the scalp. Following are some of the benefits of eucalyptus oil for hair.
1. Stimulates Follicle:
Eucalyptus essential oil stimulates the follicles by promoting blood vessels cleaning and constriction. Follicles are the pores from where hair actually grows. The stimulation of follicle promotes the hair growth. It is because proper stimulation regulates the blood circulation around the follicle. If blood circulation is proper then you have healthy, shiny and long hair.
2. Makes The Hair healthy:
Eucalyptus oil is very good for hair. Regular massage with this oil makes the hair shiny, bouncy and healthy. But you must ensure the right method for using eucalyptus oil. Massaging helps to stimulate the blood flow to your scalp. Wash it with a good shampoo followed by a good conditioner
- Mix 5 ml eucalyptus oil with 50 ml olive oil and massage this warm mixture gently on your scalp
- Leave it for 1-2 hours.
- Rinse the hair with regular shampoo.
3. A Remedy For Itchy Scalp:
Take 5 ml Eucalyptus oil, 50 ml White vinegar and 1-liter water and mix it. Rinse the hair & scalp with this combination and ensure even distribution. Wash it with a good shampoo with conditioner. It provides instant relief from an itchy scalp.
4. Treatment For Lice & Nits:
Eucalyptus oil is also a good bug repellent. It is a natural insecticide. It is very commonly used in a treatment of lice. Many anti-lice products are available in the market but they are very harmful and dangerous for scalp and hair as well as for other parts of skin too. They contain poisonous elements that are very risky for kids. These chemicals can cause severe infections on skin and itchiness in the scalp. Eucalyptus oil is the safe solution to treat lice and outbreaks of these lice.
- Take 3ml Eucalyptus oil and 30 ml regular shampoo.
- Mix eucalyptus oil in this shampoo, apply it on the hair and cover the head with a plastic cap for 8-10 minutes.
- Rinse the hair thoroughly and towel it.
- Finally, comb the hair having very fine tooth this helps in removing the lice eggs.
Eucalyptus essential oil benefits For Cold:
As we all know Eucalyptus has antifungal and antibacterial properties and also it is also a good expectorant. Use of eucalyptus oil is very effective in a cough and cold.
- It increases the number of phagocytes which destroy the bacterial infectious cell and helps to reduce phlegm and congestion of respiratory system.
- Eucalyptus oil boosts the immune system in fighting infections very effectively.
1. Relief From Nasal Congestion:
You can take inhalation of eucalyptus oil to get relief from nasal congestion. It also helps in reducing swelling in mucous membrane, expel the phlegm and make you comfortable with easy breath.
- Take 1-2 drops of eucalyptus oil and add it to a bowl of warm water. Take the inhalation
- Repeat this inhalation 2-3 times in a day in case of severe cold.
Note: Cover the head and forehead completely to avoid a sudden change in temperature to avoid further congestion.
2. Relief From Bedtime Congestion Due To Cold:
As we know that during sleep the nasal congestion is impossible to tolerate because it is very difficult to take a proper breath. All the mucus or phlegm chokes the nose and throat. It causes breathlessness sometimes. You can avoid this condition by following this method:
- Pour few drops of eucalyptus oil on a soft cloth or handkerchief and place it near the pillow or under the pillow cover.
- The constant release of the smell of the oil gradually unblock the nose and make you comfortable during sleep.
- You can repeat this 3 consecutive nights or as per your requirements.
3. Relief From The Daytime Nasal Block:
If you are working or on tour, it is not possible to take inhalation 2-3 times so a better method which helps in reducing the daytime nasal block during a cough and cold is:
- Take few drops of eucalyptus oil in a soft cloth or handkerchief and sniff it for the whole day.
- The cloth or hanky should be kept in a zip locked bag to help the aroma last longer.
Eucalyptus Essential Oil benefits From Cough:
Eucalyptus oil is a good expectorant so it is very effectively treated respiratory tract disorders like a cough, cold, catarrh, chest congestion, bronchitis, asthma, and sinusitis. It is also very useful in treating flu, headache, and migraine during choked nose. It also has an antiviral property so it is very useful in treating lung congestion and sinusitis due to viral infections. Use of eucalyptus oil, in this case, loosens the congestion and provide instant relief from a cough and cold. Following are some of the methods which can help:
- Take peppermint essential oil, bergamot essential oil and eucalyptus essential oil. Mix these oil in water for steam inhalation.
- Combination of these oils helps to lose congestion and reduce the mucus. This inhalation helps in reducing breathlessness.
- It also helps in opening the blocked passage which causes bronchitis. It cures the respiratory problems due to bacterial or viral infections.
- Combination of Eucalyptus essential oil with Lavender essential oil effectively reduces the problem of bronchitis by clearing the bronchial passage and it also removes a cough.
- Dilution of eucalyptus oil can kill the bacterial infection which is the root cause of cold and cough.
- Eucalyptus oil with anise essential oil and peppermint essential oil can also be a good remedy for coughing.
- Another combination of Cypress essential oil with Eucalyptus essential oil in an equal amount can reduce running nose or chest congestion which causes a cough. Apply it to back, chest, nose, and forehead. It provides great relief from a cough and cold.
Last but not the least,
- Prepare eucalyptus tea with dried leaves of Eucalyptus and add few drops of eucalyptus essential oil.
- Boil this water in a pan and add green tea or tea bags in it. Cover it with a lid for about 15 minutes.
- You can also add honey to taste.
- Sip it 3-5 times in a day. It helps in treating congestion and cough.
- Always prepare fresh tea and drink it hot.
- It can also be given to children 2-3 cups in a day.
Handle With Care:
Everything always come with Pros and Cons. Same for Eucalyptus oil too. One must also take precautionary measures with this oil.
1. First of all, the most important thing to know that, Eucalyptus oil has a very strong aroma and concentrated. So always keep in mind that we should never use this oil without dilution.
2. Some of the side effects of Eucalyptus oil are observed that person can suffer from Nausea, vomiting, stomach disorders, pain in stomach, diarrhea and skin allergies. So it is very important to use this oil under the guidance of experienced aromatherapist.
Signs And Symptoms Of Poisoning Through Eucalyptus Oil:
- Pupil of eyes becoming small,
- Feeling of uneasiness or suffocation after using Eucalyptus oil
If the above-mentioned symptoms occur, contact a doctor immediately.
Finally, Eucalyptus oil is a very useful essential oil for medicinal as well as household use. It is very beneficial in reducing respiratory tract infections very effectively. This oil also helps in treating skin related problems like acne, healing open wounds, removing scars and many other skin related problems. Eucalyptus oil is also very helpful in healthy and shiny hair.
One should use this oil with great care and always keep this oil away from children and pregnant ladies to avoid adverse effects.
LIST OF ESSENTIAL OILS AND THEIR BENEFITS: ALL OF THEM IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER
TOP 10 MOST POPULAR ESSENTIAL OILS AND THEIR USES